Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Week 8 Wednesday

Woke up this morning to about 6 inches of snow, continuing snowfall, and an email telling us that the base was closed and to report to our homerooms at 9am.  So far so good...an extra hour of sleep.  Reported to the homerooms where our FBI NA 252 golf shirts were handed out along with a few other small things, discussion about upcoming section events and we're done for the day right? 

Somebody in the session, in their infinite wisdom, decided that there needed to be a volunteer Challenge run of the 5 miles.  We were supposed to do that anyway this morning, but with the base closing we were told that there would not be an "official" challenge and we would need to do it on our own.  About this time I'm thinking these folks are crazy...not only is there 6 inches of snow on the ground, it's continuing to fall very heavily!!!  I see a few folks headed toward the locker room with their running gear.  "Harry, you coming?"  "NO!" was my response with a few other words added for effect.  Until I see my roommate and one of my suitemates headed in that direction and they are asking.  At this point I'm in a dilemna...do I go back to my nice cozy, warm room and wait out the snow and get my 5 miles in later?  And suffer the wrath of my roommate and suitemate for the remaining 2.5 weeks?  Or do I join the knuckleheads and get it done...well just call me a knuckle head I guess.  That was the first and quite possibly the last time I will ever run 5 miles at one time.  Oh, and did I mention it was snowing a blizzard? and it was uphill both ways?  After the first three miles I guess my body became numb and it couldnt tell I was still running!  Everyone was done in about 60 minutes!

Anyway, I'm sitting here in my dorm room thinking about how bad my body is going to hurting.  But at the same time thinking...I'm glad I went.  I came here for a once in a lifetime experience and as far as I'm concerned that will be a once in a lifetime experience!! 

Week 8 and I'm still meeting new people.  For anyone that may be in the position to experience the National Academy, push yourself and make it happen.  Eight weeks away from family and friends has been quite difficult and I have no plans of doing anything like it in the future, but I will not trade the experience for anything!!

I think I'm going back to bed now!

Till next time...Be Safe!

1 comment:

  1. What an experience indeed. Great job to those who braved the snow...you'll be prepped for the YBR, which will probably be in the same conditions. Enjoy the last few days.

    ReplyDelete