Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Week One

I left my home in Georgia (sounds like a song, thanks Otis!) at about 4am on Saturday.  I was deadset on that time because I knew it would be hard if I waited until after the kids were awake.  Of course I was planning on being in the bed long before 11pm.  Anyway...everything was packed in the truck and I was pulling out of the driveway at 0352hrs.  Stopped at the QT, filled up with gas and hit the Interstate.  By the time I got into North Carolina it was time for a nap; scared myself a couple times before that.  An hour later I was on the road again.   Overall, not a bad trip.  The traffic was decent and it only took me about 8.5 - 9 hours of drive time.

I arrived at Quantico about 1430hrs.  I found my way to the registration desk and got checked in.  From there I went to have my ID made and then returned to the parking lot to get my stuff.  There were some nice FBI agents-in-training there at the door to help us get everything in and find our way to our rooms.  (And the trainers here must have put the fear of God into these kids...everything was sir this and sir that and it has continued through this first week and half.)  I made it to my room and my roommate had already arrived...dang it...I wanted my choice of beds.  Worked out though, I like my corner of the room. 

After getting settled into our room my roommate and I headed to the PX for uniforms.  Boxes here, Boxes there, clothes racks everywhere!!  I can only imagine the ladies working in there were probably thinking that they thought they had left their children at home.  We had no idea what we needed to get or exactly where it was we were getting it from, but the ladies were great and patient in helping us out.  I think I got what I needed, although a few things they had run out of various sizes.

At 1700hrs there were several of us that met up downstairs for a tour with a counselor.  The counselor then took us around and showed us a large portion of the National Academy complex.  We learned very quickly that it would be easy to get lost, but they assured us that we would be moving around fine after a couple days (a week and half later and we are still getting turned around inside this building).  The counselors are FBI agents from various field offices throughout the States.  Our Section counselor, Marty, is from Detroit.  Has told us that his tour was one of the things on his "bucket list" he wanted to do before he retired.  They come in for one class session and then it's back to the field office.

On day one we had several "Welcome" meetings.  So there wasn't a whole lot accomplished on day one.  Day two, Tuesday, we followed our class schedule for Monday and started attending classes.  There wasn't a whole lot that got accomplished in those classes either.  For the most part the instructors covered the syllabus with us and then it was off to find the next class that was feat in and of itself.

Also on Tuesday was Section 4's first PT class.  This is when they get your height, weight, waist measurment, etc., etc.  Then it was off to do our run.  What I haven't mentioned up this point is the fact that right after we got here the rain and fog rolled in.  Yes...it was still raining when we went to do our run.  The good thing about it was we only had to run a mile.  I think the rain finally quit on Thursday and we saw the sun for the first time on Friday.

On Saturday, Tom and I went to the Marine Corp Museum located right outside the gate of the base.  Just about everything you ever wanted to know about the Marine Corp and its history in the world is located in this one building.  We spent about three hours in there walking and reading.  It was a great site to see.

One other thing that I haven't mentioned is my determination to obtain my blue brick.  Blue brick?  Yes, since as far back as I know the NA has had a challenge called the yellow brick road (I know I was talking about a blue brick and now I'm talking about a yellow brick...I'll get there).  The yellow brick road is the Marine Corps endurance track.  It is somewhere just over 6 miles long and it's littered with various obstacles.  Near the end of the session everyone that completes the course is given a yellow brick with their session number on it.  At some point in the history of the NA the attendees decided that it would be a good idea to start a swimming challenge.  So, those that complete 34 miles in the olympic size swimming pool here over the ten week period earns a blue brick.  Two close friends of mine have returned with their blue brick so I'm kind of stuck.  My first night here I was a 1/2 mile into the challenge.  Since that time I have completed 8.5 miles...I'm getting my blue brick!!! (and the yellow brick).

This past Tuesday (holiday on Monday) everyone started their regular class schedule.  Things have started to calm a bit and folks are trying to get into the routine.  I think things will go fine I'm looking forward to settling into a routine of things myself and getting back home to my babies!

I think I have caught everything up to date, so until next time...Be Safe!

1 comment:

  1. Just read the blog! Glad to see you are adjusting, if that's even possible there! I was at the Marine Museum in December...It was incredible! My favorite was Korea and walking through the helo into Vietnam!

    Anyway, keep up the posts! I enjoy reading them!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete