Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wk 3 Wednesday Challenge

Well I made it back!!!  This one was called "Not in Kansas Anymore" Stairs, Hills, & Bands (resistance).  Section 4 and 5 ran together today.  We started with resistance bands and I will probably not live this one down for a while...It's one of those things where you hope somebody else screws up quickly so yours is forgotten about! 

With the bands, we started out in the field in the middle of the track area.  You partner up with someone, they wear the band around their waist while you run behind them adding resistance.  When you get to the other side of the field you switch out and run back while your partner is holding the band for you.  I partnered up with our section counselor, Marty.  Each of the section counselors carries a small radio with them in case something happens and they can hear when its time to switch objectives.  On our very first run across I was holding the band for Marty as he ran.  About halfway across the field his radio fell off.  I switched the band to my left hand and bent down to grab the radio as we were running (see where this is going yet?).  Anyway, I slipped and fell, Marty kept running (adding yet more resistance) and YES...the band came out of my hand!  Now imagine getting popped with a rubberband that's about 2 inches wide, 4 foot long, and stretched out about ten feet!  Again, Marty I am so sorry!!!  When we got back to the locker room I found out the guys next to me caught the end of the band as it took off...he had a nice big welp on his calf.
That's Marty on the left...BEFORE he got popped!


After 8 minutes of this torture we ran 2 or 300 hundred yards to a parking deck.  The parking deck has a set of stairs on each corner and there were 4 or 5 decks...I was to busy trying to remember to breath rather than count flights of stairs.  We ran up one corner, across and down another corner, across and up another corner, across and down another corner and so on until our 8 minutes were up.  Then back to were we started.
Ok...so there's 4 levels and 6 flights of stairs

The last phase of this tortur...eh...challenge run was the hill.  This hill is situated on the side of the running track.  It's probably about 60 degrees.  We ran up the hill, along the ridge, back to the bottom of the hill and back up again.  And of course our PT instructor, O'Malley was at the bottom of the hill making sure that we ran up as opposed to crawled up...Thanks O'Malley!


The entire Session was supposed to be going to the Law Enforcement Memorial tonight, but because of the bad weather moving in it was canceled.  I'm not too terribly disappointed.  Tom and I went into DC on Sunday.  Spent a little bit of time in the American history museum before it closed.  We went late because I wanted to be in the city after it got dark so that I could get some night time pictures of some of the monuments; part of that included the Law Enforcement Memorial.
(this is a nighttime picture)


Classes are going fine.  I've actually gotten a little ahead on some of my papers that are due.  This is a good thing as I am flying out of here Friday evening to go home for the weekend.  I have to come back on Sunday, but at least I'm not driving!  I can't wait to see my family again!!!!!

Till next time...Be Safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment